Wednesday, June 16, 2021

When you're trying to give an exam but your students keep getting summoned as chosen ones to other realms (part two)

Instantly, wards and barriers of all shapes and sizes and colors sprung up into existence, shielding me from the magical blast. The temperature in the room rose several degrees as Keisha, Anna, and a couple of the other students began chanting and charging and weaving together their magical spells. Swords and knives hissed out of their scabbards as the students wielding them rose from their chairs. Plasma rifles and nano-machines were pulled from pocket dimensions as Jasmine used her cybernetic eye to direct those students around the classroom while maintaining lines of sight on their target.

"You walked into the wrong room, motherfucker!" shouted Xander, his boxed AI expanding around him into a fully mechanized battle-suit.

"Language, Xander. The next time it's detention," I said from behind the shields. My eyes glared at the gleaming metal armor until I saw its shoulders drop into Xander's typical slouch. I turned my attention back to the Demon King. "He's not wrong, though. This is not the classroom you want to be starting a fight. Every one of these kids are heroes in their own right." I saw a gleam in not a few of the students' eyes and let out a sigh. After all, it isn't often that they get to speak their names and titles in our world.

Blue runes glowed all over Anna's skin as raw magic wove into a spell between her fingers. "Anna the Wanderer, Healer of the Grorder Fields, Mother to the Silenced, Slayer of Filliux the Dragon."

"Battle Queen Keisha, Savior of Hessia, Holder of the Final Line, the Goddess's Hand, Blade in the night," said Keisha with a mystical arrow drawn in a bow also made of pure magic.

"Sir Kevin, spymaster of Sir Arthur, forgotten knight of the Round Table, and defender of Camelot," said Kevin, his sword raised.

The weapons on the battle suit lowered slightly. "Uh, I'm Xander. I just got this suit for helping some kid with his history report on the 20th century. Apparently every kid in the future has one just lying around."

The Demon King growled, a low rumble in the back of his throat before slowly raising his massive hands in surrender and returning into the abandoned chair. The rest of the class remained standing, ready for combat. I set my gaze upon each of them in turn. "Class, please return to your tests," I said before turning back to my desk at the front of the room. It took another minute or two but eventually the students stowed their respective weapons and returned to their exams.

Ten minutes passed in relative silence, quiet except for the sounds of pencil scratches and the occasional groan. "Why do you make them do this?" asked the Demon King, "If they are the heroes you claim, why not train them in combat?"

Several eyes peeked up at the Demon King's question, and I knew not a few of them wondered the same thing. "Simple. I'm a teacher. This is my job."

"Why not teach them then how to wield sword or bow? Or drill them upon military tactics and strikes?"

I shrugged. "That's not in the school's curriculum." I saw more eyes on me now than on their tests. "It isn't my place to teach those things. Wherever these children end up, it will be up to them to figure out how to handle the situation they are faced with. The best way to do that is by learning. I'm not just teaching them math and history and chemistry, but also simply how to learn."

At that moment, another brilliant flash filled the room, this one a blinding white. Again, I needed to blink away the glare, this time finding Maria looking exactly how she left now back at her desk and the Demon King gone. Before I could say anything, Maria was out of her seat and storming to the front of the class.

"You fucking idiot!" she shouted, slapping Billy across the face. A couple of the students gasped while the rest fell silent, letting the lone sound of Maria's heavy, angry breathing fill the room. A realization fell across her face and her features reverted back from pure, seething anger to the shy, quiet kid with which I was familiar.

"Detention, Mr. S. You heard her," said Xander, breaking the tension and causing a few stifled laughs amongst his classmates, including Maria.

"Shut it, Xander," I said with a smile myself before gesturing to Maria, permission to continue.

She took a breath and nodded, again finding her confidence within her justified outrage. "You led the legions through the Undercaves of Merg, murdering hordes upon hordes of orcs on your way to the Demon King's castle."

"So what," Billy said, rubbing his cheek. "Orcs make up the bulk of the Demon King's army."

"The orcs in his army are with the army, not the ones simply making their homes in the Undercaves. The legions killed so many it was practically a genocide. Do you even understand the role orcs play in the ecosystem of Abaloth?" Tears started to form in Maria's eyes but she held them from falling and continued on. "Orcs are strong, tough, eat almost anything, and breed quickly. You know what else does those things? Tetrok rock spiders, Grovi venomous slugs, Sterbenzia wolves, and a whole bunch of other creatures with no natural predators except for orcs. We had a hell of a time culling their numbers while the orc population recovered and rebounded. Luckily, I guess, you did at least manage to defeat the Demon King because he was no where to be found."

Anna let out a cough. "Umm, he was actually here with us. Switched places with you when you got summoned."

Maria glared at Billy, her eyes narrowing as rage again consumed her face. Finally, she just threw her hands in the air, let out a groan, and stomped back to her desk.

The class immediately broke apart: some crowded around Maria, excited to hear her tale about the adventure, others huddled together to talk strategy in case anything like the Demon King came to our world again. And before I could get the class settled once again so we could finish the exam, Billy again vanished into thin air. Exhausted, I just sank into my chair and stared at the ceiling. Maybe we'll finish the test tomorrow.



From the Reddit Writing Prompts, something about you giving an exam when suddenly one of your students vanishes only to return covered in blood (it was a really long prompt). For the most part, the story followed exactly where I had planned from the start when I first read the writing prompt: it was going to be about a teacher whose students were "chosen ones" that keep getting summoned to other realms. Originally I did hope to write it with a more comedic tone (the kids constantly skipping class when they're summoned away, using the time they're gone to cheat on homework or study for tests, etc) but comedy is hard (constantly overthinking if jokes are funny). Plus it was making the story even longer so I cut the stuff I wrote or just didn't write out certain things. Of course, the hardest (and funnest) part of writing this was just coming up with the names and titles for the kids to have. I always suck at coming up with names, but it was fun this time to come up with their titles, until, of course, I took it too far and started trying to come up with backstories for the kids on how they gained these titles, forgetting that this is just supposed to be a dumb practice story. It's not as if I haven't been writing, it's just that I'm too lazy to type after spending eight hours in front of a computer screen. Also, I had a few setbacks in other stories that I was working on that needed to be redone instead of finished (I'll get to them eventually).

No comments:

Post a Comment