Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Backpack Memorial

 

 

So, about two months ago (shut up, I had other things that I was failing to write, but mostly I dreaded going through those old pictures ... ugh just look at that guy), the zipper on my backpack broke. I was just pulling the zipper open, nothing that I hadn't done a million times, and it just came apart. If you've been on vacation with me, went to school with me, worked with me, or have just known me within the last 15 years, you know which backpack. Though one of the pockets now won't close all the way, it isn't completely unusable. I'm not sure if it's repairable, mostly because I'm stupid. Anyways, after surviving this long, I guess I should write some sort of eulogy/ relive some memories before it disappears either into my closet (if I can trick myself that it's still usable) or into the trash.

Yes, I know how weird this entire post is. I'm attempting to write a memorial for a backpack that doesn't give a shit what I say about it, or, more likely after having held my notebooks for over a decade, would rather me not say anything knowing how terrible at writing I am. It was weird going through so many old photos to see if anyone captured a picture of me with my back turned, or if I happened to put my bag down so it's still in the shot. It's also weird that for something I've had since highschool, I can't think of really stand-out significant stories that focus on my backpack. It's been with me through highschool, college, study abroad in Japan, Portland, Seattle, New York (sort-of, I think most days of that trip I carried a drawstring bag), Australia, Seattle again, Japan again, and Korea, and not to mention every single day at this job I've been at for almost 10 years now. I guess the best stories to tell are the times when it really came through for me, whatever that means exactly.

On just a day to day basis, my backpack was responsible for carrying so many things necessary to my daily survival. Items of note include my notebooks and spare pens for when inspiration or boredom strike, whatever book I happen to be reading so I can further avoid participating with society, my phone charger because PokemonGo drains my battery so fast these days, and my hoodie for those odd days when the office A/C is much colder than usual.

There was the time that all I had was my backpack and its contents when Terry and I took a week-long trip to Kyoto (it probably wasn't a week but I know if I start re-reading the journal I kept then I'm going to keep on reading and not finish this stupid post). Not needing an entire suitcase of stuff for just a week of adventure, I managed to stuff my backpack with a week's worth of supplies. Of course, most of it went into a locker at the hostel but the bag came with me as we traveled around Kyoto, Nara, Osaka ... other places (now I can't remember, fuck I'm getting old). Also, just to amend my earlier statement, looks like it was just three or four days at least based on the folders I sorted my pictures from the trip, but that's still a good-sized side quest, right?

Backpack and I also hiked Mt. Fuji with a group while studying abroad, originally starting by holding my hoodie, an extra t-shirt, some snacks and water bottles. That was also when I learned that the reason people hike Mt. Fuji during the summer is not because it's cooler to be on the mountain than in the hot and humid city, but because the weather will kill you at other times. That said, I packed light, leaving behind my actual heavy jacket because I thought I'd be sweating on the hike and I didn't want to carry so much stuff through Tokyo to the bus station. Upon arrival at the freezing mountain though, I immediately emptied by backpack of everything I could wear. The extra shirt and hoodie made the hike survivable but not at all comfortable. Actually, I take that back. The first thing I did after getting off the bus was ask some guy where I could smoke (poisoning my lungs before trekking up a mountain, stupidity really should've killed me off by now). We managed to beat the sunrise to the ... well not quite the top but as high up as we were going to get.

Still on the topic of hiking (which I guess is where backpack stories truly shine), a couple friends and I went exploring the summer palace years and years ago. As we wandered around (I'm not sure what exactly we were looking for) we got lost trying to find our way back to the highway. Then the rain came and drenched us. Lost in the woods and wet, I thought we were going to end up as another story of dumbass hikers needing to be rescued by helicopter. By pure luck (we had no idea where we were going) we managed to find our way out and back to our cars. And, through it all, my bag managed to protect my cigarettes from getting soaked, which I remember being extremely thankful for.

I guess now that we're talking about protecting my stuff from the elements, I'll just quickly mention some notable rain storms that my backpack saved my stuff: That one time I stupidly thought I could walk from Keio University back to the dorm which I think was 14 kilometers or something like that and the rain caught me a couple hours into the walk; My first night in Seattle (the second time) coming back from my friends' apartment and wandering the long way around instead of a straight line from the bus station back to the motel; That one day in my Korea trip that I refused to stay at the hostel all day and headed out into the rain to spend several hours in a library (the housekeeper later looked at me like I was an idiot for not taking any of the free umbrellas).

Finally (or maybe I should've put this in the beginning... oh well too late now), if you cared (and I guess to fill space), about those pictures (from top left clockwise): Feeding deer in Nara; Gundam exhibit at a Uniqlo; Me and the Coronal; waiting for the train from Portland to Seattle; Spark of writing inspiration in Korea; Group picture in Australia; Me and slinky in Enoshima; On the steps of the Sydney Opera House; Tour guide for visiting Japanese highschoolers; ... I'm not sure but I think it's Jiyugaoka; Crossing the street in Kamakura; after classes at UH. Background: Changdeokgung Palace.

2 comments:

  1. I like how when you found your way out of the woods, the thing you're most thankful for is that your cigarettes weren't wet. Not y'know, finding your way out🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the day making sure my cigarettes were safe was the most important thing, everything else could be dealt with as long as I just got that smoke at the end.

    ReplyDelete