Monday, August 19, 2024

Patron of Structure

I sat patiently, hands clasped in front of me, as the developer's representative and his assistant spoke amongst themselves. Between us, on the large table, lay my designs for the city's new hospital.

"Honestly, I'm not trying to challenge your genius, Mr. Weaver. We're all truly happy not only to have a building designed with your brilliance, but also for you to take time to come all the way here to present it to us. I'm simply hoping you might explain the reason for the seven, umm, eagles jutting out at these corners?" said Mr. Miller as he pointed to the tower schematics.

"Griffins," I said, then, seeing the look of confusion, added, "they're griffins, not eagles. You can tell from the lion paws."

"Right, griffins. Well, the investors are wondering if they're necessary to the overall architecture and aesthetic. Based on our calculations, removing them from the plans completely would save us several thousand dollars in time, material, and artistic consultation and design." Next to him, Ms. Bell silently pulled a sheet of paper from a folder - an estimated budget report.

I immediately slid the paper off to the side without even looking at it. "Well, first, you can eliminate the costs of any additional consultants you think you might need. You'll find I've already included the exact specifications for each individual griffin."

Keeping my eyes on Mr. Miller, I pulled a worn, hardbound book from my bag, several pages marked with post-it notes of various colors. "As for their importance, well, I was hoping you and your company, your investors, and the city would already know the answer to that. We are building this city a new hospital, after all, and what better way to connect it to the city's history than through the Griffin family. Seven generations they committed to ensuring the well-being of the city's citizens, responding to plagues, outbreaks, food contamination, poisonings, riots, drug overdoses, and the like." Turning to a marked page after every disaster, I then slammed the book shut. "So, imagine my surprise to see a lack of memorials dedicated to their family's service."

I could see Mr. Miller nodding along as I read off the Griffin family's achievements, the smile on his face growing as he realized how he could not only sell this vast idea to his investors but also the general public (connecting with one's roots was very popular right now), but I still needed to be certain he used these exact plans. Keeping my eyes locked on Mr. Miller's, I called to Him. "Zonoraphesteus," I said in my thoughts, and instantly I felt a firm hand grasp my shoulder, present yet invisible.

To anyone else, Mr. Miller's eyes were still locked on my own, though I could see them drift ever so subtly as if also looking at someone or something just behind me. "Yes, you're absolutely right, Mr. Weaver. We should be more connected with the city's past and what better way than through the Griffin family, pioneers in the medical field."

"Um, Mr. Miller," said Ms. Bell with a rising venom in her voice, "Are you sure you don't want to discuss this further. Our investors, not to mention the tax payers, might not be too happy with agreeing to Mr. Weaver's every demand. Perhaps just one or two of these... griffins would suffice instead?"

"No, no, no Ms. Bell, we're going to go with Mr. Weaver's designs exactly as drawn," he said, dismissing her words and packing his papers. Ms. Bell followed suit, still staring angrily at me. "Thank you again for your time, Mr. Weaver, and for reviewing your designs with us, personally." As he shook my hand, he leaned in and whispered, "So, just between you and I, how do you come up with these designs? I've seen pictures of the plans and designs you've submitted to other cities, and they're fabulous. But this one, and to include the griffins, and all on such short notice, it's all just too brilliant."

"Well, to be honest," I replied in an equally conspiratorial tone, "it just comes to me in my dreams." We stared at each other for a bit before both letting out a chuckle.

"Very funny, Mr. Weaver. Thank you again for your time." Mr. Miller again shook my hand and the left the room, followed by Ms. Bell who paused a few seconds to give me one last glare.

Both of them out of the meeting room, I collapsed back into the chair. "Okay. Looks like we got them onboard with Your design," I said to a seemingly empty room.

"Very good. I'm once again happy to say you've fulfilled your part of our bargain," said a silent yet booming voice I still wasn't certain I was hearing with my ears on in my mind. Across from me in the seat Mr. Miller vacated formed a shadowy figure in the shape of a human being. "Though you did call upon My power, so perhaps I should be thanking myself," said Zonoraphesteus.

I leaned back in my chair, hoping to appear relaxed. "You said to ensure they built it exact. I assumed it best to pull on some of the power lent to me to get the job done."

The shadow appeared to lean forward, fingers steepled. "Yes, an acceptable strategy," He said, then nodding to the book, added, "What was your plan if either of them had asked for a closer look at your empty prop?"

I watched the book detailing the Griffin family's history vanish back to the nothingness I'd conjured it from. "Well, I guess I would've tried really hard to fill it with words," I said with a smile.

"You won't be able to talk your way out of every problem, my acolyte. You'll need to get dirt on your hands one day." Zonoraphesteus shadowy form leaned back in his chair. "Perhaps another deal, and I could grant you such power?"

I shuddered at the thought, shaking my head. "Thank you for the offer, but I'll pass. I'm truly thankful for the visions You send to create these beautiful plans. I know You're only using them to keep Your rivals, gods or what not, from entering this world You want so much, but I'm only in it for the money it brings in. So, I think we should stick with our current pact."

I felt His gaze upon me for a moment before shrugging his shoulders and vanishing, leaving me alone in a, hopefully, empty room.

"So, who are you working for really?" came a familiar voice from behind me as I exited the building. Turning, I found Ms. Bell with her glare still in her eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm just a freelance architect, as you know, Ms. Bell. Your company reached out to me for a design." It was her tone, though, more than her eyes, that prompted me to continue cautiously walking away.

"No, no, no. Both you and I know the Griffin family never existed, at least not as the people of this city may remember. People they were not, but actual, majestic beasts from mythology. The seven of them driving my Patron from these lands millennia ago and back to his realm where he still waits. I've worked too hard this last decade to rid this city of its griffin iconography and allow The Nerparchter a foothold back into this world." Above her toxic gaze, another set of glowing red eyes opened, then narrowed. A sickening miasma radiated off of her, so strong I could've sworn it was visible. Most terrifying, though, were the large daggers which formed in her hands - gold ceremonial handles and green, crystal-like blades glinting in the streetlights. "That same silver tongue you used to persuade Mr. Miller won't stop your death."

"Oh shit," I said, my attempt to slink away turning into a full sprint down the street. "Zonoraphesteus, I may need some of that combat power You're always talking about. You wouldn't want to lose Your acolyte, would You?" I turned down the next street, cutting between car sitting in rush-hour traffic before turning down a narrow alley.

An amused laugh filled my mind and sent a cold shiver down my spine. "Hmm, did you not already decline My previous offer just a moment earlier? No, I think I shall allow you this opportunity to prove yourself. While you have been surprisingly successful, you are still but one of My many tools operating in this realm, a tool which appears may need to be honed."

Frustrated. Angry. Scared. Abandoned. I continued sprinting, turning blindly down random streets and alleys hoping to escape. "You piece of -" Unfortunately, most human beings (including myself) will be stopped in its tracks by a brick wall smashing their face. Luckily, for me though, a brick wall stopped me in my tracks, and from finishing outburst.

A minute later, Ms. Bell turned the corner with murder in her eyes ... and the tools to get it done in her hands. Thirty feet behind me stood a solid, imposing brick wall preventing further retreat. I raised my empty hands. "I'll give you one chance to renounce your patron and leave this city. Your patron may eventually catch-up with you, but at least if you take my offer, you'll survive the night."

A predator stalking her prey, she came at me slowly, deliberately, watching me for any motion I may make to escape. Twenty feet away, she stopped. A wind cut through, shaking loose bricks and spilling dust onto the two of us. "I'll be rewarded handsomely for not only taking your life but furthering The Nerparchter's plans for this city,"  said Ms. Bell, her daggers radiating an eerie, sickening glow. Seeing the motes of dust and dirt sprinkle around us, she took a quick glance at the building we were standing within. "So, an acolyte of Zonoraphesteus, a being of structure and law, decides to make his last stand in this decrepit, run-down building. How fitting, almost poetic."

Lowering my hands, I shook my head and smiled. "You've been here for a decade at least yet know so little about this city. Abandoned, yes, but there are no dilapidated buildings on this block. In fact, we're standing at the very spot they're going to build my hospital."

Her hands lowered slightly as her eyes again scanned the building. "Impossible. The Knight Building isn't missing any walls. How can we be inside without entering through a door?"

My smile grew wider. "I'm an acolyte of Zonoraphesteus, a god of structure. I simply 'persuaded' the walls to open for us." Raising my hand, I added, "Speaking of which, thank you for your assistance. You may return to your form once again."

Above Ms. Bell, loose bricks rumbled before dropping like a theater curtain on the closing act, crushing her beneath its weight.

"Hmm, very clever, My acolyte." I heard the voice of Zonoraphesteus in my head. "Perhaps you are worthy of more power. Continue with your project and service, and it shall be granted."



Based on the Reddit Writing Prompt "You receive visions of grand building designs. After the completion of your latest one, your Patron reveal itself." My first idea for this story was simply the first conversation between the architect and the Patron, showing the architect learning about his new role or something like that. I'd gotten started, maybe a third of the way through before abandoning it as it got boring to write. Deciding to do a bit more with the idea, I had the architect already knowing he was doing the Patron's bidding, and then put an antagonist seeking to stop him. One of the issues, of course, was how to insert all of the backstory/ context to understand the deal into this short piece (or it was supposed to be short), especially with Reddit's comment character limit (Note: I went over it by a lot, couldn't edit it down to fit a single comment box, then just gave up and posted it in three comments). So, obviously, I'm once again (for the whatever time this is) trying to get back into writing again (preferably on a more consistent basis), so let's see how this goes. Also, if you found this, wow, you are dedicated ... or just really bored, because I didn't share this one. Honestly, not my best work, and thus not worth being shared. I just wanted to get something done, and really, that's one of the parts of writing I struggle with (and I think others do too) - knowing when to stop and finish. Everything can be edited, tweaked, worked on just a bit more (just ask my suicide note), so it's really important to know when to just stop (usually through setting a deadline). As for this particular story, as I mentioned, I'm not really happy with it, but I did like the idea. A while back, I had an idea for an urban fantasy story involving a wizard who couldn't use magic in the traditional way, so maybe this character could be added to that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment