Thursday, May 23, 2024

Books of 2024: Quarter 1



The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


Known simply as "The Circus of Dreams," its black-and-white striped tents arrive without warning and open only once the sun sets. Inside, patrons discover the most amazing performances conducted by acrobats and illusionists, displays crafted to appease all of the senses, and the most delicious confections one has ever tasted. Unbeknownst to both patrons and performers alike, however, is the circus's entirety exists merely as the battleground for a secret magical duel between two young magicians. Celia Bowen and Marco Alisdair have trained since childhood for a competition which neither knows the rules or stakes, just that it will end when one is declared the victor. Amidst both sides' subtle manipulations and grand displays, they find themselves falling suddenly and deeply in love - the ramifications of which could prove dangerous to both patron and performer - and even deadlier to the two magicians.

Of course, the tease of a magical duel was the thing that got this book onto my "To Read" list. I ended up finding it at a discounted price (i.e. cheaper than cover price) over at Book-off some time last year where it unfortunately sat in a shoebox with other "To Read" books for a couple months. Then, it took me a lot longer to read than usual thanks to the Japan trip and all of the comics I've been reading. I originally planned to have it finished toward the end of December or the beginning of January, but I just couldn't find the time - not even while at lunch. Also, as much as I wanted to read it, there were definitely times when I just couldn't as it reads ... well, kinda slow (I'll elaborate more on that later). All that said, it took me around two to three months to get through the 500 pages which make up this book, a lot slower than I'd like (I have to get back into reading actual books).

"The story is beautifully told" really is the best way to describe this book - from the word choice to the sentence structure to the pacing - all of it combines perfectly to paint a beautiful image of each scene. Unfortunately, that writing style made The Night Circus a hard read for me as it stays with the story throughout its entirety, slowing it down at times when it should've moved fast (or even skipped certain events). The style almost forces you to picture every movement as it is created in crisp, clear detail, whereas I'm used to a faster pace with a lower imagination resolution. It's kind of like walking through an art gallery: each chapter, each scene is a beautiful creation that must be admired before moving on to the next. Contributing to the slow read is the late reveal of the stakes - held from the reader until just about halfway through the story. Up until then, as amazing as each chapter was, I had no idea why any of it was being done.

You're probably sick of me mentioning by now how beautiful this story was written, but I'm going to keep saying it. A story like this one I typically would sell-off after I finished it but the words themselves make me want to hold onto it, at least for a while longer. The plot wasn't quite what I hoped but it was told so eloquently that I knew I had to finish it, couldn't help but enjoy it for what it was. Based on my typical reading preferences, when I read "magical duel" I thought it would be two opponents facing off against one another, but instead each side does battle by creating more and more elaborate displays to "wow" the circus's audience. It is through these acts that the two magicians came to know one another and eventually fall in love - it's beautiful and I'm really glad I picked this book up. This is the type of magic story I think we need more of (or at least I should read more of) - seeing magic used not in direct competition with another but instead to create something new and gorgeous. I also love stories which feature consequences to the use of magic, and this story had it - both expected and unexpected - though some of them may have been left a bit more vague than I would've liked.

One of the things that makes this book a bit harder to read than others was that it isn't told linearly, instead jumping back and forth in time as the plot progresses toward the present day. Typically not that big of an issue (Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House is written the same way), what made this story a bit more difficult is the following of the side characters I didn't care about (well, up until it was revealed why they were in the story in the first place). Due to this (and because I put so much time between reading), I found myself flipping back through pages to figure out where exactly we were in the story, and what we were heading toward.


The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (Sept/Oct)

 


Shining Shores by Max Firehammer

Lissa Grant returns to Shining Shores, a small, coastal tourist town she hasn't returned to in years. Instead of a vacation, however, she's looking for a missing friend who hasn't been seen for several days. Expecting to find him hooked-up with a one-night stand or drowning himself in a bottle, she instead finds something much more sinister lurking just off the coast. What follows is an unsettling world created by a recently awakened god long forgotten.

An unexpected, disturbing horror story filled with fanatic acolytes and an awakened god from before humans walked the land. I liked that this was the opening story for this issue's collection as it really set the tone of what can be expected. Plus, it is the Sept/Oct issue, so of course it should be a little spooky. I'm definitely a big fan of "old gods" waking to "play with these new primates" and the type of body horror found within these pages (mutilation, dis-figuration, cannibalism) really put an unsettling fear in me.

Bayanihan by Maricar Macario

You recount your life's journey through memory files - from leaving your home and family as a child to attempting to blend in with a new culture on Mars to returning to Earth as an adult - attempting to not only find your place but also to keep with you the past and culture you once came from.

Told from a second person point-of-view, Bayanihan tells the story of an unnamed protagonist's journey to finding who they are in this big world. Using the second person point-of-view, an unnamed protagonist, and "memory files" (i.e. journal entries), gives the story a very personal feel, a sort-of "this could be anyone" story. The story focuses on the trials and tribulations of the your protagonist's assimilation into the culture of an entirely different world. The story mirrors the classic immigrant story of parents moving their family to a new world/ home for a better future, focusing on the struggles of the child learning their place. In the end, the story tells us that our home never leaves us no matter how much we might forget who we are and where we came from, that we can take it with us.

Sort Code by Chris Barnham

After a deadly car crash, "Romeo" and "Juliet" find themselves being pulled along together from one point in time to another.

Reminding me a little of the show "Quantum Leap," the protagonists find themselves jumping from one body somewhere in time to another, moving along only when the people around them begin to notice the two don't quite belong there. At the same time between jumps, the two catch glimpses of the reality they either left behind or are in the process of leaving behind as they are obviously both about to die together in a car accident. Mysteriously entwined together thanks to their circumstances, the story imagines the idea of souls being "sorted" after death by an unexplained and unknown force. It's a lovely idea that you could live out your immortal life in a time period you fancied while alive.

Sugar Steak by Jenny Kiefer

After an odd dinner on a first date, a woman finds her teeth shifting, cutting her own mouth, and strange oddities growing from her gums in this body horror story. Despite its short length, the story of teeth shifting and sliding and forming into razors while little, unexplained bits fall out of her mouth really stuck with me in my head. Though I'm usually not a fan of the unexplained horror (I feel like it's an easy escape to not explain where the terror comes from), I think that it really worked well for this story.

On the Matter of Homo Sapiens by Kel Coleman

A group of robots scavenge through the remnants of humanity while discussing the idea of returning to life the extinct or endangered creatures. Reminding me a little of the Netflix short, "Love, Death, and Robots," I like this idea and depiction of robots scavenging through what we once were, discussing if we should be brought back to life. It's interesting to see what robots would deem our "redeeming" qualities and why we should be brought back vs why we should be left behind.

I picked this up from Barnes & Nobles checking out the recently released writing magazines. I've seen these types of magazines before, but the ones I've bought previously leaned more toward "traditional fiction" - realistic stories of drama or comedy. I finally decided to give this one a chance because 1) to see what kind of short fiction is currently being published (and thus marketable), 2) to see if this is the type of magazine I could try to submit my horrible genre stories to, and 3) as a small book to carry with me on my December Japan trip.


Make Me by Lee Child


Jack Reacher arrives in a small town of Mother's Rest and is immediately confronted by a private investigator who mistakes him for her missing partner. Curious, Reacher decides to hang around to help find the missing detective. The case takes an unexpected turn when the two find a clue leading to a plot which spans across the country. Reacher and his new partner will need to dodge bruisers, hitmen, and a crime boss to find what is truly happening in Mother's Rest that could lead to millions in profit but leave over two hundred thousand people dead. 

Needing a bit of a palette cleanser after going through two reads which took a lot longer than expected, I decided on another Jack Reacher book over three other books still waiting to be read (two of which are actually new). Which also means I'll need to buy another Jack Reacher novel soon (I just like to have one on hand for situations like this). Getting through it in just under two weeks made me feel pretty good, especially since the last two reads took about a month each (which they shouldn't have but, to be fair, I was reading other things at the same time). It just feels good to get through a book on my usual reading schedule even if it was an easy read. This also means that eventually I will need to find another easy-to-read series like this once I finally catch up.

Compared to other Jack Reacher novels, I'd rank this one just above average. I enjoyed the mystery of trying to figure out exactly what Chang's partner stumbled upon while investigating Mother's Rest. The investigation itself took several interesting turns which kept me guessing until the big reveal of what type of operation could result in two hundred thousand dead while bringing in the kind of profit to satisfy a crime lord, but still fly under the radar of anyone (government or otherwise) who might get curious. The action pieces were also spot-on Jack Reacher with quick and dirty gunfights and simple and direct fistfights, when required. I think what slowed the story for me was the bits of traveling that needed to be done as the scope of the operation stretched across the country. I understand it was needed to show just how big and far-reaching this type of thing could be, but I still felt like it slowed the pacing a bit too much for my liking.

I don't know if I just didn't notice it in the other books, but these last two books, Make Me and Personal, have both seen Reacher dealing with not only the case before him but also larger societal issues as well. In Personal, the topic of mental health and the over-reliance on psychiatric medication is discussed when Reacher discovers the agent he is working with takes medication for her anxiety. In Make Me, the topic of suicide is discussed when they discover a Deep Web chatroom helping people find ways and places to end their own lives. Though it isn't out of character for the characters themselves to discuss the topics when they are brought up, it does put a notable break in the pacing of the story and plot. In regards to Make Me, though it put a noticeable pause in the pacing of the story (at that point they are in the middle of an investigation scene), it does contribute to the overall story, especially when you learn of the twist (what is actually happening at Mother's Rest) in the end.


I Hate Fairyland Vol 6: Last Gert Standing by Skottie Young

Once again trapped in Fairyland, Gert seeks out her old guide to help her to find her way back home - again. Meanwhile, the ruler of Fairyland sends a terrifying group uniquely suited to kill the strongest, cruelest, most fearsome warrior Fairyland has ever seen - a team of Gertrudes pulled from throughout Fairyland's history. Once the dust settles and an unexpected Gert is declared the victor, a new plan will be formed and unexpected allies are made to, once again, escape from Fairyland.

The new adventures of adult Gert in Fairyland continues! Picking up right after Gert's re-emergence in Fairyland and betrayal by her benefactor, the story jumps into even more hilarious absurdity with were-poodles, a time-hopping van, and a reunion with some old characters including a grown-up Duncan the Dragon (now with fire-breathing). Of course, the graphic, cartoon violence is still top-notch and outlandish. The volume concludes on the biggest cliff-hanger yet, so I'm super excited to see what the next volume will bring.

If you're curious as to why you didn't get regular updates to this series as I do with other, ongoing comic issues, well, it's because I didn't buy the individual issues this time around. In an effort to curb my comic spending and save some cash, I opted instead to wait for the release of the collected trade paperback. Also, I was going to buy the collection anyway.


Damn Them All (Issues #1 - 12, Completed) by Simon Spurrier

The series about Ellie "Bloody El" Hawthorne's mission to undo her uncle's selfish mistake and return the recently released demons mercifully back to Hell comes to an end. Caught between her ex-boyfriend who has sided with the angelic forces and her uncle's former colleague seeking to impose a new world order through the bound demonic powers, she'll use every ounce of cunning and gained knowledge (and, of course, her trusty claw hammer) to release the demons from their servitude and return the world back to it's natural state.

Such a great concept, I fucking loved this whole series. If you've forgotten, once El discovers that not only do demons hate being bound on Earth to the point that it physically pains them and that it was her uncle (in an effort to spare himself the torments of Hell) who released them all, she sets out to release the demons back to Hell. At the same time, a group of demonists seek to use the bound demons to create a new world order on Earth. Surprising El, her ex-boyfriend also reveals himself to be in league with angelic forces seeking to eradicate the demons. What makes El stand out against those forces (as cliche as it might be) is her humanity, her reliance on her own self rather than over supernatural forces. She knows both those forces don't belong amongst humans and stops those seeking to either exploit their powers and those who put too much trust in them.

One of the few critiques I have against this story was the introduction of the angels. I understand that to have a story about demons and Hell, one typically includes the other side but I feel like their inclusion took away from the story a bit (though they are important to the conclusion).


Nights issues #4 - 6 (first arc complete) by Wyatt Kennedy


 Vince and Gray get closer in their relationship, and more is finally revealed about Gray's past.

Completing the first story arc of Nights, issues #1 - 6 sets up the characters and their relationship with each other. Overall, the story felt like it took too long to get to this point from where we started. I'm interested to see where the story goes now that Gray's past is revealed (she's not a vampire but housing a god!) and she's managed to harness some of its powers.

One of the coolest things in regards to this comic (for me) is that while it is a smaller publisher and not as popular, I was still managing to get my hands on the latest issue every time I went to buy at Other Realms. Turns out, after speaking with the Other Realms store employees while setting up my pull list (something I never thought I'd do), they pointed out they were only ordering one issue at a time ... because I was the only one buying it. So, that was pretty cool. Also, on the back of each issue is a short soundtrack list which I guess should be listened to with the issue.


Batman: City of Madness issues #1 - 3 (completed) by Christian Ward


A Lovecraftian - inspired take on The Dark Knight. A seal is broken deep beneath the city of Gotham, one that has kept the everyday Gotham Above separated from the eldritch-horror that is Gotham Below. When a child is taken, Batman must team-up with The Court of Owls and their Talon to traverse the twisted Gotham to not only rescue the child but to ensure Gotham Below's most twisted denizen doesn't escape. 

Sold as a Lovecraftian - inspired version of Batman, this short series doesn't disappoint with its twisted designs and color schemes (and that's all I know about art which is a shame because I loved looking at the pictures). Regarding the storyline ... I thought it was just okay, once you got passed the idea of a mirror Gotham where skewed versions of everyone lived - of course, born out of the Arkham family in some way. I think the big twist at the end which got some attention - giving a brand-new origin to The Joker - was pretty good, but it doesn't really go anywhere as I haven't heard anything about another story arc being written.


Edenwood issues #1 - 5 (story arc completed) by 


In the war between witches and demons, Edenwood has become its latest battleground. An unstable pocket dimension (expanding or contracting depending upon the state of the war) set in Midwest America, a sudden fluctuation pulls a teenage Rion and his friends into Edenwood. Trapped, Rion apprentices himself to a legendary demon hunter to find his girlfriend and escape Edenwood. It will be a long and harrowing three years before Rion can escape, only to find the demons have followed him through to steal his prized possession - a book listing the prisons of all the legendary demon hunters, and how to free them.

The story sold me when they said a war between witches and demons. A high-fantasy tale set in the modern era complete with a large cast, diverse landscapes, swords, sorcery, and monsters. The story itself can be a bit hard to keep track of as it jumps between the present day and the three years prior when Rion first found himself in Edenwood (confusing enough that I even had to go back to re-read each issue before writing this). So far, the focus has been on younger Rion's journey through Edenwood to find Adelai, his missing girlfriend, and become the famed demon killer he's revealed to be in the present day. In the present day, we get to see more of what America and its people have become because of the war's ongoing influence.

For a comic that I feel was hyped more than I'm used to (or at least I, personally, was seeing more review for it that I usually would), I think it fell a little flat in its execution. The action scenes were great but the rest of the story felt ... too condensed especially for the amount of backstory needed to understand exactly why this was all happening in the first place. Despite setting up an interesting second arc, I'm not sure if I'll collect individual issues or wait for the trade paperback, especially since each issue runs about $4 each while the trade collecting these first 5 issues will usually cost between $10-$20.


A Haunted Girl issues #1 - 4 (completed) by Ethan and Naomi Sacks


 Coming back from a stay at a psychiatric ward, Cleo returns home to her uncle in an attempt to return to her previous life. Still rattled by her anxiety, she is visited by a spirit informing her of her status as a chosen one. Put on a path to protect the world from an evil entity, she'll need to battle both external and her own internal demons to claim her destiny.

Written by a father and daughter duo, the story is based on their own issues and mental health battles with a supernatural monster thrown into the mix. Honestly, I was intrigued by the title and the plot when I first heard about this comic. After reading the first issue, I wasn't really into the overt message presented, but, since it was only four issues, I figured I'd stick with it until the end. And, honestly, I probably shouldn't have. Maybe I just didn't like the storytelling, or the heavy and blunt focus on Cleo's psychological issues, or I simply didn't invest enough interest in the story because it wasn't really for me. Whatever it was, yeah, I should've just stopped after the first issue.


John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dead in America issues #1 - 3 by Simon Spurrier


Arriving in America with a couple of companions, a red, double-decker bus, and a missing heartbeat, John Constantine sets off on a road trip to find anyone who can help him get his heart to beat once more.

Though I've never read any of the Hellblazer comics, I've liked the character of John Constantine since I saw him portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the movie "Constantine." Later, I'd see him make a cameo appearance in a "Sandman" storyline, and in "The Books of Magic" comic. He's just a regular guy dabbling in the occult, though the only advantage he really has is being an expert liar. 

Now owned by DC comics, this series is printed under their "Black Label" for mature readers, or something. Though it is only three issues into the series, I can see this is going to be about more than just Constantine attempting to con some other powerful being into restarting his heart. We've met with other characters from the universe, like Dream of the Endless and Swamp Thing. It also feels like a sort-of road-trip across America, reflecting and critiquing the nation and its history. As he goes along, he's being hunted by a currently, yet-to-be-revealed adversary which adds to the tension. I'm curious to see where else this story goes, both in terms of plot and location. Also, now that I'm writing this out, I can't believe this is also written by Simon Spurrier (Damn Them All) so that's pretty cool.


Avengers Twilight issues #1 - 4 by Chip Zdarsky


Set in the future, an aged and de-powered Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, has become disappointed in the America he sees: the growing poverty amongst the poor while the rich continue to thrive, the rampant police brutality, and the willingness of its citizens to simply accept it as the status quo. When he learns of an underground resistance fighting back, he sees this as an opportunity to rejoin the fight and take back America.

When I first read the concept, I knew I want to read it as it isn't the standard comic book story. After a tragic battle leaves many dead, the government, of course, bans superheroes, a storyline that's been used many, many times. This time, we can see the long-term results of the ban and the heavy-handed government crackdown leading to a United States under an almost perpetual state of martial law while its new Avengers tout the new government's accomplishments. Of course, we eventually discover that two prominent supervillains, Red Skull and Ultron, are behind this new regime, but it doesn't make the story any less interesting.


So, issue #1, first-printing (left) of this story actually got really popular with collectors, selling for almost double the cover-price on the secondary market (note: fuck, I knew it was inevitable but me from a year ago would hate that I understood that). Originally, though, of course, I bought the Skottie Young variant (right) because it's funny. I did get around to finding another copy in stock at one of the comic shops, so... I don't know, hopefully this might be something to invest in. What I am a little disappointed in though is I wasn't able to buy the non-variant covers of issues 2 and 4 but maybe I'll look for those on ebay or something when I've got the money/ time.


Batman and Robin issues #5 - 7 by Joshua Williamson/ Batman and Robin 2024 Annual by Joshua Williamson


Still attempting to track down Man-Bat and foil his plan to take over Gotham, Batman and Robin retreat from their superhero personas to Bruce and Damien Wayne, father and son. Looking for a short break, the two go on a roadtrip to camp in the woods where they are attacked by hunters looking for the "most dangerous game." More time is spent as the two gain further footing in their personal relationship as Damien attends highschool on Bruce's behest that he try to live a normal life, something neither of them really had. As progress is made on their case, however, an old friend returns to Damien's life.

We finally get into more of what I wanted from this series, more Bruce and Damien Wayne being father and son. I know, the series is called Batman and Robin but I really bought into it with the idea that we'd see more of their regular lives. In those latest issues, we see more of Damien's highschool life, including playing on the soccer team, briefly, while Bruce plays the role of the doting parent speaking with his teachers. The story also re-introduces Flatline, a potential love interest of Damien's introduced in the Lazurus Tournament, a set I'm guessing I'm going to need to pick-up eventually (ugh, why are graphic novels so expensive).


The Bloody Dozen issues #1 - 4 by Charles Soule


 Decades ago, the last nine vampire lords were locked away in a prison built specifically for them - a glass cage orbiting the sun. Now, The Shrouded College wants them freed and brought back to Earth. For their mission, though, they'll need the Hill family: Greta Hill, a trained astronaut and engineer; George Hill, her father-in-law and one of the few still alive with experience in space combat; and Glory Hill, her daughter and a former Army Ranger with a horrible drug addiction. Despite their dysfunctional state, the Hills agree to the mission in exchange for The Shrouded College's promise to fulfill their desires and make them whole again. What should be an easy delivery job goes sideways when the Hills find not only has someone else gotten to the prison first, but the vampires (isolated and unfed for years) surprisingly awake and thriving. They'll need to overcome their differences if they plan to survive not only magical killer robots and blood-thirsty vampires, but each other as well.

Similar to the first Shrouded College story, Hell to Pay, this series also focuses on a group of people who reluctantly make a deal in exchange for promised wonders. This time, the members of three generations of the Hill family are tasked with breaking a group of vampires from their off-world prison and returning them to Earth. Like the first story, this one focuses on some major, overarching themes, this time being family and how far you'd go to keep them safe.

Having enjoyed the first series, Hell to Pay, I still wasn't quite sold on the new premise though it was still connected to the Shrouded College. Well, after the first issue, I loved the set-up of a heist story involving not only vampires but space travel as well. I thought about simply waiting for the trade paperback to be released, you know, to save money. The second issue, however, was released on a slow week so, yeah, I committed to picking this up on a weekly basis again. Unfortunately, this series is only slated for a six-issue run, so I'm a little worried they may try to cram too much in the last two issues. Selfishly, I'm also sad that I wrote this write-up with just two more issues to go, and thus I'll be doing another, final write-up next quarter.


The Outsiders issues #1 - 5 by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly


Disenchanted with vigilantism and the never-ending superhero wars, Kate Kane, aka Batwoman, decides to leave that life behind and instead seeks out another purpose. Feeling the same way, Lucas Fox invites her to join The Outsiders, a group dedicated simply to the search for knowledge. From a miles-long, sentient carrier ship (The Authority!) to a multiversal meeting of Batmen, the team will seek out answers to the questions and oddities of the DC universe.

Presented as a "mystery of the week," each issue of The Outsiders finds the team encountering a mystery or oddity within the DC universe, some of which even have the ability to alter the world as we know it. I'm honestly a sucker for these types of stories, but, once they introduced The Carrier from "The Authority" comics, I knew I was going to keep reading. So far, the series hasn't disappointed (well, maybe the single issue involving a sea monster) but every other story so far has been amazing - unlocking The Authority's carrier ship, breaking into a universe housing the collective unconsciousness of every single Batman across the multiverse, meeting with the newest Century Baby (another "Authority" call back!) and crashing the party of a few of the DC universe's most notorious monsters. I really like that the team hops from one mystery to another as it keeps each story fresh and interesting, while a mysterious overarching plot keeps the story together.


The Ministry of Compliance issues #1 - 3
by John Ridley


The aliens are among us. Seeking to bring Earth under The Homeworld's control, they've established different Ministries across the planet, each one tasked by The Homeworld with infiltrating and disrupting an aspect of human culture from finance to business to media and culture. Serving in the Ministry of Compliance, Avigail is tasked with ensuring each Ministry complies with the mission of serving The Homeworld's goal of bringing Earth under their control - typically by taking the heads of those who don't. Serving a single mission on a planet far from home for almost 40 years can make anyone restless though. Further panic ensues amongst the different ministries when Homeworld announces a change in leadership, leaving them all in the dark. Avigail and her team will need to find a way to keep order amongst the Ministries, a job made even more difficult when they discover a possible coup being carried out by one of their own.

This has been a really fun ride so far. I like this idea of adding structure and bureaucracy to a hostile alien takeover. Sure, I also like the movies which depict an alien armada arriving en masse and blowing everything up, but this subtle approach is also another option. And, of course, you can't have a bureaucracy without a task force designed to ensure the different branches didn't abuse their power - and that's the job of Avigail and the Ministry of Compliance. Avigail is strong and determined, devoted to The Homeworld's goals, and punishes those who abuse their power by taking their lives. She'll have her work cut out for her though when she uncovers not only a possible coup within the Ministries, but also when her people are attacked by a group of humans who know of the alien invasion.

Coming from a smaller publisher (IDW), The Ministry of Compliance doesn't get the type of following it should. It's probably why I couldn't find issue #4 when it was released (even though I put it on my newly created pull-list), because it isn't worth bringing in by the two stores I've been frequenting. This is one I'm really hoping to find as a trade paperback eventually.


Carnage issues #1 - 5 by Torunn Gronbekk / Venom issue #31 by Torunn Gronbekk

Carnage has returned to Earth, and despite being more powerful than before, still feels ... incomplete. Perhaps, after all, a symbiote does require a host. Determined to be his own master, Carnage creates his very own clone of Cletus Kasaday, his former partner, and sets out to find purpose - all while leaving a trail of bodies in its wake.

If you've already read the review I did of Marvel's "Carnage Reigns" crossover event, you know that I'm a big Carnage fan. Though I didn't read the previous storyline which led up to Carnage and Cletus Kasaday being separated, I got a quick overview online prior to jumping into this story.

One of things I always look forward to in a Carnage - story is the violence, and this one doesn't disappoint as Carnage's murderous tendencies are on full display. His enemy, this time though, is a "resurrected" Flash Thompson who has bonded with Anti-Venom, a symbiote able to heal. There's also a brief crossover with the Venom comic as Carnage splits Venom from Eddie Brock's son in order to find Eddie who has become the new King in Black, king of the symbiotes. My favorite part, so far, however, has got to be Carnage's reunion with an even more deranged Cletus Kasaday sitting upon a throne of severed body parts. "What's the difference between a god and a madman?" "The audience." Oh, so, so good.


Ultimate Spider-man issues #1 - 3 by Jonathan Hickman


 Years ago, The Maker stopped a radioactive spider from biting a teenage Peter Parker as a part of his plan to nullify the universe's heroes and establish a new world order. Now, Parker is in his middle-age, married to Mary-Jane with two children, and holding a steady job at The Daily Bugle. Still, he feels like something is missing from his life. It is at this time Tony Stark, aka Iron Lad, seeking to put together his own team to take back their world, sends Parker his destiny - the radioactive spider. With his newfound powers, Parker sets off into New York City to learn about his new abilities and establish his identity.

Starting the new "Ultimates" universe stories is Ultimate Spider-man, a great choice seeing as Spider-man's popularity never fades. Knowing The Maker stopped this universe's heroes from developing at their appropriate times, it is interesting to see a now grown-up Peter Parker getting his powers later in life. Since we're only three issues into the story so far, Hickman is still in the process of the set-up: introducing this new version of Peter Parker and establishing how he gets his powers, the current New York City he lives in and how it has been shaped by The Maker's influence, and some new characters in his life, such as a still-alive Uncle Ben Parker! Compared to the other two current Marvel Ultimate series (Ultimate Black Panther and Ultimate X-men), this is the only one which connects with Tony Stark's Iron Lad and the team he is forming to fight back against The Maker's council. The story is only three issues in, but so far it has been great seeing a middle-aged Peter Parker not only discover his new powers and responsibilities, but also (and, actually, what I'd consider the most important part of any Spider-man story) how he goes about his regular, everyday life.

So, let's also talk about this comic as a comic book. If you're a collector, you probably already know, but this comic has been insanely popular upon its release. Enough so, that issue #1 is not only on its 6th printing (at least the last time I looked) but I've seen Ultimate Spider-man #1, first-printing issues being sold for upwards of a hundred dollars, well, at least (surprisingly to me, a not-really collector though that may be changing) the Cover A version, which would be considered the standard, most-printed cover. Now, before you break into my house, just know that I didn't grab that cover, and couldn't even find it when I went back after finding out exactly how much people were willing to pay for it. Instead, I choose what I thought was the better-looking variant cover featuring Peter Parker and his family on the cover (it looks nice, right) which I preferred personally. So far, surprisingly, I've also managed to buy 1st printing issues of all three so far, though maybe not all the "best" covers (those have been selling out quick). Due to the popularity and how quickly it has been selling out, this series is why I finally (after the last ... two years, I think, of buying comic books) gave in and set-up a pull-list over at Other Realms - to ensure I get all the comics I want despite my wallet saying, "Stop."


Now, when I mentioned that I wasn't really a collector. Well, unfortunately, that also looks like it might be changing. You see, I started picking-up multiple covers of the same, fucking comic book! Not just this one, but others too, though this is probably the one that started it. It's the same story, but I paid another ~$5 for the same thing with a different cover. I could go a rant about this, but I'll save that for another time. Just know that my wallet is going to start suffering more unless I get this under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment