Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Emberwilde Comes: Cerulean City - The Welcome

Previously on Emberwilde Comes, our heroes survived their trek through Mt Moon as well as an encounter with the evil Team Rocket. Now, emerging in Cerulean City, a new challenge awaits them.

Upon entering Cerulean City, I felt the instinctive fear all fire types feel when confronted with water. It was overwhelming as my vision filled with more water than I'd seen for the past couple of days. In addition to a natural flowing river surrounding the city, pokemon and humans splashed and swam in a multitude of deep pools while a giant waterpark threatened to flood five blocks in all directions. The worst were the variety of signs and billboards depicting oceans or rainstorms for water-themed businesses that appeared themselves to blot out the sky. Having lived my entire life on an island, I managed to wall off the fear fairly quickly but not before spending a full-minute taking it all in, my body giving an involuntary shudder. I wanted to leave Cerulean City as soon as I set foot in it.

I took an step back, wondering if Emberwilde and I could skip this city, that perhaps he may earn a badge at another, more obscure gym. After all, The Champion merely needs to win eight badges to participate in the End of Year Tournament, not necessarily from the same gyms mapped out every year. I froze, remembering the message, no, the taunt waiting for Emberwilde just outside the gates. An Atreolpeaf tree, native to the Tartarus Isles, stood amongst a small grove of native Kanto trees, its usually bright orange flowers already fading to an ashy gray. Carved into the tree was a raindrop with three rings wrapped around it's bottom. The Forest Clan had already passed through here at least four days ago judging by the rate of decay of the Atreolpeaf tree struggling to survive without the Tartarus Isle's volcanic soil. The Rainmaker clan then passed through, perhaps right after them, though stopping briefly to carve into the tree. Neither of the two would've had a problem against the Rock Pokemon at the previous gym, nor run into as much trouble as I had in crossing under Mt. Moon.

The anger recovered my desire to bear the Inferno Clan Champion across Kanto, and if that path forced us to confront our most difficult opponent so early in our travels, then so be it. Emberwilde would crush all challengers put before him. My fire restored, I strode into Cerulean City with my head held high.

I discussed with Emberwilde what our next step should be outside the caves of Mt. Moon especially with half of our party exhausted, injured, or both. Emberwilde, as any warrior of the Inferno Clan would, argued that we simply needed a couple days of rest before continuing onward. Reminding him of the head start the other clans had, I suggested the use of a "Pokemon Center," a place we were told housed machines that could heal pokemon in minutes. As much as he hated the idea, Emberwilde eventually accepted my suggestion, grudgingly, and simply returned to his pokeball.

Alone and unprepared at what I might find, I walked hesitantly into the Pokemon Center. Immediately, my senses were overwhelmed: bright florescent lights reflecting off of clean white linoleum floors, the overpowering smell of antiseptics so heavy in its use I could taste its bitterness and feel it on my skin, and, most of all, the eerie quietness of it all as people and pokemon alike waited patiently while a pink-haired woman (perhaps a relative of the Nurse Joy from back home) simply smiled politely from the other side of a desk. Back home, healers were always patching someone up whether from a hunt or battle or simply an accident. There were always two or three Pokemon or people waiting to be seen, the air filled with their groans and whines, the stench of blood a constant.

Hesitantly, I walked through the waiting room to the woman sitting behind the desk. The nurse's smile didn't quite reach her eyes, as she said, "Welcome to the Cerulean City Pokemon Center. I'm Nurse Joy. How can I help you today?"

Panic set in briefly as all the information I received with the other prospective Bearers about the workings of the Kanto healers vanished from my mind. "Umm," I stammered, "I'd like to use your machine?"

Nurse Joy's smile disappeared, turning to confusion. "Sorry, I don't quite understand."

"Chansey?" came another voice from the other side of the table. Looking over, standing next to Nurse Joy, was a pink Chansey wearing a similar hat. "Are you here to heal your pokemon?" the Chansey repeated.

My panic faded to relief upon seeing the pokemon in a familiar setting. "Chansey," I said in greeting, "Yes, but I don't understand this place." After admitting confusion, the Chansey grabbed a tray with six cut-outs, each the size of a pokeball, then pointed at a machine off to the side. Nurse Joy looked from the Chansey to myself in confusion for another second until she simply shrugged her shoulders.

I placed five red-and-white pokeballs and a black-and-red one into the tray. Simultaneously, Nurse Joy and I grabbed the tray. Swiftly, I released the tray and then snatched Emberwilde's ball back. Apologizing, I said, "Sorry, but as Emberwilde's Bearer, I cannot allow anyone else to handle his dwelling, especially not with The Lord inside."

Again, confusion appeared on Nurse Joy's face for a moment until her eyes widened in understanding. "Ahh, another from the Tartarus Isles. My cousin told me that you all would be starting your journey soon. I also should've guessed once I saw you were able to converse with Chansey." Taking the tray, Nurse Joy motioned for me to come around the desk to the Kanto healing machine with Emberwilde's ball. "Yes, your ... rivals, as the kids call them, were here several days ago, and were just as adamant about holding onto one particular pokemon. A .... Champion, I think they were referred to as."

Nurse Joy placed my tray of pokemon into the machine and I dropped Emberwilde's ball back into the empty spot. A glass lid covered the pokeballs as the machine began a series of whirls and beeps, lights flashing. "You can have a seat with the others," Nurse Joy said, pointing back to a set of chairs, "It could take a little while to make sure all your pokemon are up to full health."

I sat and watched people walk in and out of the Pokemon Center, some pokemon in need of healing after a battle while others were just in need of a check-up as if they were pets. The relationship between Pokemon and people continued to astound me the more I traveled the region. Could it work this way back home in the Tartarus Isles? Could Lord Emberwilde and I truly become equals?

A series of loud mechanical chimes awakened me from my daydream. Nurse Joy waved to me as she said, "Your Pokemon are fully healed." After placing each ball back onto my belt, I caught her giving me a quick glance up and down. "Um, in case you were interested, we do have some bunks available if you needed a rest, as well as a shower and laundry service."

I caught a glimpse of my dirt-stained face reflected in the countertop and took a subtle whiff of my clothes. I nodded in agreement with Nurse Joy as Professor Oak's bathing comments once again played in my mind. "Thank you. But first I believe Emberwilde would like to win the Cascade Badge from your city's gym leader. We're already a couple days behind our Tartarus Isle rivals."

"Oh my," Nurse Joy said before I could head out the door, "Well, I believe another challenge is already underway, but I'm sure Misty could make time for you after her battle. A young woman from Pallet Town if I remember correctly."

I shook my head. "Oh, if that's the case, then perhaps we should wait until tomorrow. It wouldn't be in the Tartarus Isle way to challenge someone right after they've dueled another. Maybe I'll head over though just to watch the battle."

As if simply thinking aloud, Nurse Joy said, "Interesting. We rarely treat fire-type pokemon here, much less two in a single day."

Instead of going directly to the gym, I spent a good part of an hour wandering the city before realizing I'd passed it twice, mistaking it for a giant aquarium instead. The building was massive, much bigger than the Pewter City gym, complete with a towering five-story glass tank filled with almost every known water pokemon: schools of Goldeen, clusters of Shellder, and even a Gyarados serpentining the entire enclosure. My focus on the incredible sight, I almost didn't hear the cheers and jeers echoing from inside on my third pass, the unmistakable sounds of a crowd entertained by competition.

Pushing open the door, I found myself in a hallway lined with glass cases and frames containing all manner of memento and memorabilia celebrating the Cerulean City gym: trophies and medals celebrating previous victories and achievements; pictures, statues, and articles honoring pokemon and trainers. Filled with equal parts terror and amazement, my footsteps echoed as I crept deeper into my enemy's den afraid that not even Emberwilde's flame could protect us here.

Through the doors at the other end of the hall, I finally entered the arena just as the battle ended. Bright lights shone on an enormous above ground glass pool probably close to thirty feet deep. Separated by a hundred feet on opposite ends of the pool were two raised platforms where the pokemon trainers stood. Several pillars raising just above the waterline and platforms floating upon the water gave a place for non-swimming pokemon to stand.

My eyes though immediately focused on the pokemon standing atop one of the floating platforms - a Charmander, breathing heavily and tail-flame waning. I gasped, and finding Emberwilde's pokeball in my hand, had to restrain myself from releasing a Lord of the Inferno Clan into the arena to rescue a fellow fire-type pokemon surrounded on all sides by water. Taking a moment to compose myself, I pondered why a Charmander would be battling in a water gym in the first place, especially, according to my previous conversation with Professor Oak, they were considered rare in the Kanto region.

Focusing my gaze upon the giant screen above the arena, I saw that Charmander belonged to the Trainer, Ruby, the girl with green hair on one side of the pool. It looked as if four of her pokemon had already been knocked out of the match, leaving her with just two left. Was this a desperate gambit, a show of pride, or did she actually have a good reason for sending out the fire pokemon? Then I noticed the screen also displayed where Ruby hailed from, "Pallet Town."

I returned my eyes to the Charmander, staring hard for any tell-tale clue. Professor Oak said that the Inferno Clan sends its runts away as a mercy but also to help bolster their population in the Kanto Region. If this girl was from Pallet Town, could that Charmander be one of ours, from our clan? I pitied the poor thing having to grow so far from home yet knew it was for the best. Seeing the determination in its eyes though filled me with a pride that even though one may be raised and coddled in a softer world, the natural predator instinct still remained.

Through the glass, a Shellder swam circles around the platform, though far slower than it should. After three laps, it sprang from the water, seeking to tackle the fire pokemon and knock it into the pool.

"Charmander, behind you!" warned Ruby. Turning at the last moment, the Charmander took the full force of the tackle, the Shellder hitting his chest. I gasped, watching Charmander slide backwards as the Shellder drove them both to the edge of the platform. Claws digging into the floating block, the Charmander halted their momentum inches from the water. Then, it switched from defense to offense.

Seeing the tables turned, the green-haired trainer didn't hesitate. "Now's your chance. Use scratch attack!" she shouted. Gripping his opponent with both clawed hands, Charmander threw the water pokemon down onto the platform. Out of water and its speed reduced, Shellder could do nothing but sit motionless as Charmander laid into it continuously with both claws. Although many of the strikes simply sounded like nails raking against stone, several sounded closer to a butcher's cleaver chopping into a slab of beef. After a few seconds of perhaps two dozen strikes, the Shellder flipped onto its back, and, not a second later, the judge's bell rang out through the stadium.

"Let's hear it for the challenger, Ruby, in a well fought battle against Cerulean City's own Brooke. We will now take a fifteen minute break to allow our trainers and their pokemon a short rest and to reset the stage before our final bout of the day, the challenger Ruby against your very own Ccrulean City gym leader, Misty! Food and drinks can be bought at the concession stands, and a reminder that the second and third floor restrooms have been opened for use. We'll see you all back here in fifteen minutes for the start of our last match."

The crowds parted around me giving me a wide berth though I'm unsure if it was due to my focused, unbroken gaze upon the green-haired trainer, or (recounting earlier remarks) perhaps I really did need a bath. Through the crowd, I watched as Charmander finally returned to its trainer's side. Seeing her look the pokemon over for major injuries before pulling him into a hug assured me the runt would be properly cared for in Kanto. As she sprayed a medicine from a potion vial, her mouth moved and I saw the fire pokemon respond simply with a nod of his head. No doubt praising the pokemon on the hard won fight, or talking strategy for their next fight. As they spoke though, I noticed something in their eyes, the looks of determination changing, hardening into something else entirely. Something more primal, a look I'd seen too many times in the Tartarus Isles, and one I never expected to see here amongst children vying for shiny trinkets. As I shook in fear, the two of them made their way down a tunnel and out of view.

Following a person is similar to stalking prey, the basics of which are taught to all in the Inferno Clan at a young age. Falling in with the herd of people, I slipped around the concession filled with smells that made my stomach growl, and the long, snaking lines of people with uncomfortable faces and oddly-dancing children. I needed to speak with Ruby and the runt before the next match or else something terrible may occur. Though I could easily let Emberwilde loose to knock down doors, because I planned to be back tomorrow (and remembering the trouble caused when he burned down one gym), I decided this search would instead focus on stealth and subtlety.

Though I'd never navigated a jungle like this one, the basics should still remain the same. I stayed mixed with the crowd, always right behind a group as my eyes scanned for an opening. After a few minutes, I finally caught a break when I overheard a man at the concession stand order another to take a tray of food for "the challenger." Following right behind, I quickly grabbed at the door marked "Restricted Access," feigning courtesy as I held the door for the man with the tray. Then, I slipped in and took cover behind a stack of crates as the door closed. A new maze where I clearly didn't belong, this new section would require speed more than anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment