Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Emberwilde Comes: Pallet Town (part two)

The temperature dropped at least twenty degrees from the hot, humid air outside yet I couldn't see an ice pokemon anywhere. All around me, metal boxes lined the walls , each giving off their own distinct high-pitched buzz. People dressed in similar white coats to the older man bustled back and forth, some carrying stacks of paper, others with smaller metal buzzing boxes, some with trays of pokeballs.

"You have a very large family." I said, looking at all the busy people, "Do they all live here?"

The older man let out a small laugh and shook his head. "No, these folks are all scientists like myself. And this isn't a house, it's a laboratory. Here we do research projects related to the study of pokemon." He gestured for me to follow and together we went to the very back of the lab. "You can call me Professor Oak. I'm in charge of the lab and pokemon research in the Kanto region. I also help to guide the new pokemon trainers on their journey, as well as provide them with their very own starter pokemon." He gestured to a small table in the center of the room. On the table were three tiny stands, each one big enough to hold one pokeball.

"Pokemon trainers?" I asked, not understanding the words. In the villages of the Tartarus Isles, the older pokemon taught the younger ones. The only role humans played was the occasional target practice.

Professor Oak nodded his head. "Here in Kanto and many other region, a young person like yourself will set out into the world to learn and discover and follow their dream of becoming the greatest pokemon trainer. The human and pokemon work together to become stronger battlers. Unlike the task given to a Bearer, the trainer and their pokemon start off weak and seek to grow together into strong partners."

"It seems cruel to send ones so weak into the world on their own," I replied.

The professor shook his head. "Not at all. In fact it's the best way for the trainer and pokemon to bond, by becoming stronger together," he said. Professor Oak motioned to the empty stands. "In fact you just missed seeing one of your own kin begin his very own pokemon journey."

I looked at the older man, confused. "I thought you said that the other other Bearers were here a couple days ago."

"Not your human kin, but other pokemon from the Tartarus Isles. Certain pokemon native to the Kanto region are harder to find roaming free in the wild than in the days of my youth. My team is currently researching the cause of these dwindling numbers. Until then, I would like to thank your isle's clans for parting with their own."

I looked at the three stands recently emptied of their pokeballs. "The runts," I said, looking back at Professor Oak, "This is where they end up? Battling side by side with young humans?" I thought on the idea, of Pokemon and humans working as a team, each of them growing and learning from one another. It was a new concept as I knew Emberwilde would not seek counsel from me, nor was I free to give it without reason. Still though, I thought, looking at the empty stands, imagining three pokeballs being picked up by three children, all six of them naive to the world and the dangers they faced, yet full of hope and the opportunities before them.

I nodded. "It's a better life than they could expect on the island," I said, thinking of the young Charmander awakening from its pokeball to find a young, wide-eyed human to watch over it, and protect it. Then I thought about the encounter with the arrogant boy outside. What was his name? "Gary," I said vehemently, turning back to the doorway. I felt my body tense and my heart start to race. Anger filled my being. No one from our clan would suffer being paired with that boy, not when I was close enough to stop it. I wouldn't allow it!

Before I could start toward the door to catch up with Gary so Emberwilde could unleash fury upon him, I felt a strong hand grasp my shoulder. Instinctively I turned and let out a snarl, my hand going to Emberwilde's pokeball. Then I saw the old man's kind face, his head shaking. "No, it's fine. Your kin didn't end up with my grandson. I paired a very special pokemon with Gary, one that I hope will teach him about partnership and trust."

I felt my rage subside, my heartbeat slow and breathing calm. I counted to ten before nodding to the professor and he took his hand off of my shoulder. "Thank you for showing me this," I said, "but I think I'd better be going now. My own rivals already have a couple days headstart."

The professor again shook his head. "It's going to be dark soon. You might as well stay here for the night. Besides, I still haven't told you anything about your tasks as a Bearer yet." He opened a drawer and pulled out a rolled up piece of paper and a small plastic card. "A map to help you navigate the Kanto region. There's some money in an account already set up for you, payment to your clan for the adoption of their young. You can use the money to buy food, items such as pokeballs and potions, and secure shelter."

He had me follow him to a small couch set up in the corner. "As I said, you can stay here for the night, and I'll explain more about Kanto in the morning and the Bearer's tasks." Then he wrinkled his nose. "My last piece of advice for the night is to shower and shower often. Feel free to use the emergency shower in the corner. In Kanto, we generally try to cover-up distasteful smells. You'll find others more approachable if you aren't so smelly." With that, the Professor departed, leaving me in the room alone.

I grabbed one of the stands and brought it into the back room, setting it up on a low table. I placed Emberwilde's pokeball upon it. "We shall begin your quest tomorrow, after the Professor has provided the rest of his information." The ball shook slightly in acknowledgement.

I headed to the shower and scrubbed myself clean, unclear about why humans would want to smell like anything other than human. Our scent let the pokemon know we were around, helping us to avoid being stepped on by the unsuspecting, or mauled by the startled. I rinsed my clothes in the shower too after pulling another set from my bag.

I lay down to sleep after rifling through the contents of the lab fridge for food. Staring at Emberwilde's still pokeball, I thought about what Professor Oak told me: about partnership and growth and trust, and dreamed about what that would look like back home - and I couldn't. I really was a long way from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment