Friday, February 16, 2018

Ex-Raid: A PokemonGo Story


Months ago (shut up, at least I'm finally getting around to cleaning out my notebook of unfinished or just untyped stories) I received an Ex-Raid pass. At first, I thought it was just a special raid pass that could be used multiple times or maybe I would get more experience per raid, which made me feel stupid because at the time I'd just bought a bunch of raid passes. After looking it up online, turns out these are the passes you need to do the Mewtwo raid! So that's exciting! Right? or am I just the only person left who plays? Typically, most of my raid battling consists of the low 1 or 2 level raids that I can solo and only a handful of times have I even gotten around to doing the the Legendary Raids (and even then, I've only got 2 of them, and unfortunately none of the birds).

Anyway, the pass is only good at a specified date and time and gym. So after work, I raced to the spot unsure about what I'd find. I mean, I rarely encounter anyone when I'm playing, what are the chances a bunch of people are going to get together to play Pokemon? So I managed to get there with just 10 minutes or so to spare until the raid starts - and there was already a bunch of people waiting around. There was also a Legendary Egg at the gym which confused the shit out of me. Why would there be a Legendary Raid at the same time as this supposedly exclusive raid is going to happen? That question was quickly answered when a couple people walked over, phones in hand, to ask if there was a raid going on, and why they couldn't see it in their games. So, turns out that you can only see the Ex-Raid if you've gotten the Ex-Raid pass ... and those other people left, disappointed.

The group of people waiting around turned out to look kind of like me: all of them around the same age in clothes that suggested they all might've come straight from work, too. Most people there had never done a Mewtwo raid yet, so I didn't feel that stupid not knowing just how strong it was supposed to be. A few people had already done the raid before, though I didn't hear if anyone had actually caught one yet. And, as always, there was already a guy trying to lead the group, talking about what types of pokemon would be good to use, how we should split ourselves in case there was too many to fit into one lobby, etc. "If the group is too large for all of us to fit in the lobby, we should just split between Mystic and Valor," he said. Then he turned to me, the newest arrival, and asked on which team I played. "Instinct," I replied. "Oh," was all he said before turning to someone else. And now, in my head, I'm just thinking, Oh, well fuck you too then asshole. Instinct's a strong team too, even though we do a bunch of dumb stuff

Like the All Eevee Gym


The Flintstone Gym (Because of the prehistoric pokemon, and the Croconaw looks like it's wearing a loincloth)



Or, how we couldn't even put together an all Yellow pokemon gym

this annoyed me more than Pokemon should annoy a grown adult

 Ummm, okay, so we're not that serious...

Well, before I got to the raid, I asked my co-worker what would be some good pokemon to use, which he recommended Dark, Ghost, and Bug type pokemon. Actually, what he recommended were pokemon I didn't have: "Use your Tyranitar if it's got good Dark attacks." "I don't have a Tyranitar."; "A strong Gengar?" "Mine is weak."; "A Pinsir?" "Dumped it awhile back." He also recommended a bunch of Legendary pokemon which I failed to catch when they were available. Well, what I did have were a bunch of pokemon with at least one Dark attack

at least my Gyarados and Granbull have 2 dark attacks

If you've done at least one raid before you know how this next part goes. And so, strength in numbers prevailed (I think we had enough to fill up the 20 person lobby limit) and we defeated the Mewtwo! Then came the real challenge: catching it. I'm dumping every golden raspberry I can, trying to use the spin technique, someone even told me that if you tap the screen as the pokeball shakes, it's supposed to up your odds of the pokeball staying closed, any trick I can to keep it in the ball. As I'm throwing, I hear someone say, "Wow, first throw." Well, keep it to yourself, asshole! I shout in my head as I toss another pokeball just to watch it burst out at the first shake. Well, eventually, I just ran out of pokeballs and I failed. So, goodbye Mewtwo. Just another waiting game until I can get another one of specialty raid passes, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment