Saturday, October 12, 2013

Australia Trip +1: Aftermath

One of my favorite parts of traveling is crossing time zones, mostly for the whole "lose a day, gain a day" thing. This time, I was gaining a day. I know it sounds stupid, but I like to think that I'm traveling back in time.

Anyways, my brother reluctantly picked me up from the airport that morning once I landed. In return I bought him and the rest of my siblings breakfast with the extra American cash I didn't exchange as well as distributed their souvenirs before taking a nap. Note to self, it's a bad idea to scarf down an entire breakfast plate as quickly as you can when you haven't eaten for almost 20 hours.

The next day, I got to work expecting the typical practical joke, as is tradition. I didn't expect this


I'm sure you've all already seen the video, but if you didn't watch it, here's a pictures to give you a visual


As you can see, my desk and file cabinet were wrapped in saran wrap, chair covered in post-it notes, and Bieber pictures hung from the ceiling. I did like the "G'day Mate" written on the white board just to keep an Australian theme. And luckily, it only took the next hour to rip off all the saran wrap as well as flip the file cabinet back around.

But, as I said, it was a good trip. It's too bad it'll be a while before I take another one. 2 reasons specifically. First, gotta save up that money. Secondly, with all the work my co-workers did to cover while I was gone, it's only fair that they get a chance to go on vacation before I take another one. Luckily, a couple of them already have taken or else have a vacation lined up soon that I could probably do something as early as next year. You know, as long as the first requirement is met.

Also, to answer Aurora's question, "what's one word to describe Australia?", I'm gonna go with the one word I learned over the trip, "Exposure". Because with all the stuff Australia was throwing in our faces from the moment we landed - all the food, activities, people - it was blinding. And I learned that if you don't limit what your seeing, (filter, if you will), you'll forget that the point is to have fun and enjoy and you'll miss out on that one, perfect picture.

And yes, it did take me two months to come up with that. But I do have an English degree and I'll be damned and my pride shattered if I'm beat by a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment